QA–QC Arena – Software Testing Home for beginners and experts

That’s why… Be a User first; then a Tester


In this blog post I would like to share some of my experiences.

YouTube Studio – Sorting
Recently; I was using a YouTube Studio app on my Android based smart phone. In YouTube Studio; I was accessing various modules (not in any specific order) such as Dashboard, Videos, Playlists, Comments, and Analytics, etc. While accessing the Videos section, I did use available sorting options such as Most recent, Most viewed. With Most viewed sorting options, I observed something strange. All VideosMost viewed sorting wasn’t working appropriately.


I did try multiple things (clearing cache, clearing data, re-login) and was able to reproduce the Bug. Then I reported this Bug on YouTube Studio’s Twitter handle and Facebook. 



Even after reinstalling the app I was able to reproduce the Bug. Believe me; I was not testing this app, I was just using it.

 
Below are a few more experiences from the Past.

Facebook AppSynchronization
Facebook Mobile App (Android version – 137.0.0.24.91) and Web were not in sync.



Facebook AppFacebook Memories
After sharing the memory, No. of Years Ago value & original Album Date & Time were getting displayed incorrectly.



Facebook AppPost reaction count
Post reaction (Likes, emoticons such as "Haha") count was getting displayed incorrectly.



There are more such examples with the applications I use daily; but I will conclude the list here.

Conclusion
As a Software Tester; finding and reporting Bugs is one of the crucial tasks; however, it makes more sense if a Tester can find and report the Bugs which an end user don’t wish to see.
I agree; none of the above Bugs were Critical or High in nature (for me as a User). But; as a User I don’t wish to see it. :)

In all above cases, I was using (not testing) the respective apps. That’s why… Be a User first; then a Tester

(As a Software Tester) think of using the Software (of course; in addition to Testing the Software).

Your thoughts, please.

2 comments:

  1. Now a days industry forgot the intent of testing. QA is the first official user of the application.
    Now a days automation is so overhyped that intent of testing or using is lost completely

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the development process is a good BDD flow then you will think as a user when creating test scenarios and analysing use cases.
    Automation requirements should factor in functional importance, likelihood to successfully automate and the maintainability of the automation. My humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment.

Regards,
Yogesh Khairnar